Sunday, September 11, 2011

Making Fun of Fat Chicks.

I am a person not easily offended. One thing I cannot stand though, is when people make fun of fat people, girls in particular, because they think its funny. The only time this doesn’t bother me is when the person telling the joke is fat, or has made it known that they once were fat. I hate it when the butt of the joke is some fat girl. It’s schoolyard bullying all over again.  When a physically fit guy in his twenties is on a stage making fun of some fat chick he saw, it really angers me. He has no idea what her life is like. He has no idea that maybe she became overweight because people have said mean things to her all her life, and food is her comfort. All he’s doing is adding to her suffering. He’s kicking her when she’s already been down for so long. But to him, her size is a joke for him. Because she can’t hide it, he gets to laugh at it, and try to make a crowd laugh at her too.

When I make fun of a fat person, that person is myself. I make fun of my struggle with weight, because it’s universal. Everyone struggles with something. I make fun of it because I’m the one going through it, so who knows it better than me? I make fun of it because, every time someone laughs at the joke, it lets me know that I’m not alone in this (Also, it let’s me know that I’m really funny, but this isn’t about that)

I may not be the biggest person in the world, but I’ve been overweight about half my life. I didn’t choose this. Yes, I did it to myself, but I wouldn’t have chosen for all the mean comments, the rejections, the self-loathing, and the judgment. When I was in school, I was depressed a lot. Whatever was upsetting me came down to my weight. This boy didn’t like me- because I’m fat. My friends don’t want to go shopping with me- because I’m fat. I don’t know if those were the reasons, but I couldn’t see why it wouldn’t be because of my size. Food made me feel better. It tastes so good, and it’s something you could always have access to. One morning, I was feeling bad so I decided to get some ice cream. I was hating myself and my life and I just wanted to feel better. I didn’t care that it was the morning; I needed ice cream. My older brother caught me taking just a spoonful of ice cream from the carton, as that was all I wanted. He looked at me like he saw the most disgusting thing anyone had ever seen in the history of the world and said, “Ew, ice cream in the morning?!” I sheepishly finished the spoonful of non-judgmental cookie dough ice cream and went back to my room. I felt worse than before. It was as if my brother said what everyone was thinking. In those few seconds he confirmed my suspicions. I’m disgusting, and everyone can see it. I felt hopeless. I had no one to talk to about my problem. Was I supposed to confide in my size 4 friends? They wouldn’t understand my addiction. They would just tell me to go on a diet and exercise. That’s like telling a coke addict to just don’t do coke. It’s a mental issue. Our brain tells our bodies that we need these things. But what’s different with food, as opposed to drugs, is that you can get food everywhere. You need food to survive. No one will deny you from buying food. And food is cheap, especially unhealthy food. It was a vicious cycle I was in. I felt bad about my weight, so I ate, which caused me to gain more weight.

That’s just my story. That’s just how I became a 200 pound 24 year old. There are so many more people with stories about how they got to be where they are today. Some people may hide their problems, but fat people, we cannot. I have been wearing my problems for 12 years. So that fat girl you wanna make fun of might say she doesn’t mind, that she’s fine; but underneath all that fat is a sad story.

So why would you make fun of that?


I don’t make fun of your small dick for the similar reasons.
  


This is something I wrote in a comedy forum... I couldn't quite figure out how to fit it in with the above, so I just left it on its own...

Comedy is making fun of the tragedy in our lives. No one chooses to be fat, yes they're not born fat, but our environments, how we react to things that happen in our lives trigger something and instead of reaching for booze or a gun, I, like many people, reached for ice cream to soothe my pain. Here I am 60 pounds overweight and funny as shit because of people putting me down for it. So go ahead, make your lame fat girl comments, while I write jokes. :)

1 comment:

  1. Ice cream in the morning? EVERYONE knows you're supposed to eat last night's pizza... straight from the box...

    ReplyDelete